Whether your door lock is damaged or your door knobs are in bad shape, it may be time to replace your door locks. Luckily, this is an easy project that only takes a few minutes and minimal tools. Here, our door installation experts explain:
What you’ll need to change door locks:
- New Lockset
- On the interior side of the door, locate the screws on the base plate of your door knob.
- Then, unscrew the screws using your screwdriver and remove the door knobs.
- After that, remove the two small screws that hold the metal faceplate and latch mechanism in place. (These should be on the side of the door where the latch comes out to lock the door.)
- Remove the latch mechanism.
- On the metal place surrounding the hole in the door jamb, you should see the strike plate.
- Locate the screws on the strike plate and remove them.
- Then, remove the strike plate and screw in the new strike plate in your lockset.
- Next, replace the old locking mechanism and faceplate with the new locking mechanism and faceplate and screw into place. (Make sure that the sloped edge of the latch faces the direction that the door closes.)
- After that, insert the exterior door knob into the lock hole and turn it to make sure it operates correctly.
- Position the interior door knob into the lock hole and fasten it down with your screws.
- Lock and unlock your door to make sure the new lock works.
*Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org