There are many different reason a door frame may be cracked. If the crack is large, you may need to replace your entire door frame. However, if it’s small, you can repair it yourself with just a few tools and materials that you likely already have. Here, our door frame repair experts share the steps for fixing your crack:
What you’ll need to fix a cracked door frame:
- Flat pry bar
- Wood glue or wood filler
- Wood clamps
- The first step to a door frame repair is to remove the trim from both sides of your door frame. You can do this by using your flat pry bar.
- Next, use your screwdriver to remove the metal catch/strike plate.
- Remove any small pieces of wood that may be sticking out of the door frame.
- After that, close the door to make sure it closes. If it doesn’t and there’s wood preventing it from doing so, remove those pieces as well.
- Fill in the crack with wood glue or wood filler. (Make sure you fill it as deep as possible.)
- After it’s filled, use several wood clamps to squeeze the frame together and eliminate the crack.
- Leave your door open and allow the wood glue/filler to dry completely.
- Once your wood glue/filler is dry, remove the wood clamps.
- Using your sandpaper, sand down any excess glue/filler to make the area flush with the rest of the door frame.
- Next, paint your door frame to hide the crack and give it a fresh look.
- Let the paint dry.
- Lastly, reinstall your catch/strike plate with your screwdriver and make sure your door closes properly.