A door that is difficult to open and shut has probably started to sag due to loose hinges. Structural settling in older homes can also cause doors to loosen up and stick against the jambs. The good news is that you can probably fix the problem very easily. With advice from the experts at PJ Fitzpatrick, you can become a weekend hero and learn how to fix a sagging door in a few easy steps.
You might not need everything on this list. The difficulty of the door problem determines your approach.
- Phillips screwdriver
- 1 or more 3-inch screws
- Power drill
- 1/8-inch drill bit
- Wood glue
- Belt sander
How to Fix a Sagging Door Steps:
- Examine the hinge screws. Daily wear can gradually loosen them, which allows the door to sag.
- If any screws are loose, tighten them by hand with a Philips screwdriver.
- Open and close the door. It should no longer be sticking.
- If one or more screws have stripped out of their holes, replace them with 3-inch screws. These will extend farther into the door or door frame beyond the original stripped holes.
- Predrill holes for the new 3-inch screws with a 1/8-inch bit.
- To fix stripped screw holes on a hollow core door, brace the hole with toothpicks and wood glue. The glued wood will give the new screws something to grip.
- If no screws were loose or tightening them did not help, then you can try tightening the jambs to the door frame.
- Replace the central screw on the hinges with 3-inch screws. This will draw the jamb more tightly against the frame.
- When other approaches do not remedy the sagging and sticking, you can sand the door edge.
- Determine where the door is rubbing against the jamb.
- Remove the door and take it somewhere to work on with a belt sander.
- Start with 80-grit sand paper and switch to 120-grit paper to produce a smooth finish.
- Rehang the door.
Contact the Door Experts
Every year in the Delaware Valley, the team at PJ Fitzpatrick fixes or upgrades thousands of homes. We specialize in door repairs and replacements. If you’re stumped trying to figure out how to fix a sagging door at your house, fill out our estimate form and give us the details of your project.