Prehung door products make it possible for do-it-yourselfers to replace interior or exterior doors. The following directions for how to replace a door apply to an exterior door. The process will be similar when installing a prehung interior door except insulation and sealing will not be necessary. Here, the professionals at PJ Fitzpatrick walk you through the replacement process step by step.
Tools and Materials
- Measuring tape
- Reciprocating saw
- Power screwdriver
- 2-foot level
- Utility knife
- Putty knife
How to Replace a Door Instructions
- Pry away interior trim to expose jamb. Be careful if you plan on reusing trim.
- Measure the rough opening to determine the prehung door size to purchase.
- Be sure to note where the door knob is before buying a door.
- Once you have the new door, take off the exterior trim.
- Take the old door off of the hinges and remove the old hinges from the jamb.
- Remove screws from the sill and jam. Cut around the jamb with a reciprocating saw as necessary to cut through old nails.
- Pull out old door frame.
- Have a partner help you lift new door into place for a dry fit.
- Open door to confirm that it clears the floor. If it doesn’t, take the door out. Build up the sub sill with a fitted piece of treated wood.
- Make sure that the sub sill is level. Adjust it with shims as necessary.
- Apply caulk to the sub sill and bottom sill of new door.
- Lift the new door into place.
- Wedge shims into frame near top of door to keep it stable while you work.
- Use more shims to get the door square and plumb in the frame opening. Aim for an 1/8″ clearance between jamb and rough opening.
- Place shims behind hinges and use long screws on the hinges to attach them to frame.
- Insert shims at lockset and deadbolt positions.
- Open and close the door to confirm that it’s working properly.
- Cut off ends of shims with utility knife.
- Attach frame and sill with nails and screws.
- Fill frame gaps with minimally expanding insulating foam. After it dries, trim off excess with putty knife.
- Install door handle hardware.
- Put interior trim back on.
PJ Fitzpatrick Can Help
Hanging a new door will take a homeowner several hours. The professionals at PJ Fitz know how to replace a door and we can accomplish the job in a short amount of time. Contact us today for help on your project.