A new front door enhances your home’s curb appeal, and many attractive prehung front entry doors are on the market. Many homeowners can successfully follow the steps for how to replace a front door. You should enlist a helper for the job because lifting the new door into the frame is cumbersome.
Tools You’ll Need
Using a reciprocating saw is optional and will make tearing out the old door frame easier.
- Pry bar
- Reciprocating Saw
- Tape Measure
- Power drill
- Caulking Gun
- Wood Shims
How to Replace a Front Door Step By Step
- Pry off the outside door trim.
- Your new door might have new trim, but you can reattach old trim if the new door does not have it.
- Use a hammer to tap a nail on the bottom of the hinge pins to loosen them and pull them out with your fingers.
- Remove the old door.
- Unscrew the old hinges from the frame.
- Remove nails or screws holding old door frame to rough frame opening.
- If you can fit the reciprocating saw blade between the frame elements, you can cut through nails.
- Extract any wooden shims that you find in the old frame.
- Once all old door elements are pried free of the rough frame, do a dry fit of the new door.
- Lift and slide it into place from the outside.
- Confirm that the bottom sill of the door is level.
- Open the door to confirm that it does not hit the floor.
- Slide out door and spread beads of caulk under the sill.
- Put door back in place.
- Nail down the sill.
- Using the level and wood shims, square both sides of the door.
- Place shims behind hinges and screw through them to secure that side of the door to the frame.
- On the opposite side, place shims near the top and bottom and put screws through the frame and shims.
- Confirm that door opens and closes properly.
- Cut off shims that are extending outside of the door frame.
- Stuff insulation into the gaps between the rough frame and door frame.
- You may use an expanding insulation spray if you want.
- If using foam insulation, let it dry and trim off excess.
- Put on new door trim or reattach old trim.
Consider a Door Replacement Estimate from PJ Fitzpatrick
Your time is valuable, and a professional door installation might prove to be a good bargain. Before learning how to replace a front door, talk to us. We have a beautiful selection of modern doors and can handle the installation. Ask us for a door replacement estimate today.