Without gutters, excessive rainwater will collect along your foundation. This will likely result in water penetrating your basement or crawlspace. You can find vinyl gutters in 10-foot sections at your local home supply store which you’ll need to connect in order to install around your roof edge. The process for how to connect gutters involves the use of slip-joint connectors secured with plastic cement. Stores sell these accessories alongside the gutter sections.
Steps for How to Connect Gutters
- Mount the gutter hangers along the roof edge.
- Measure gutter pieces to fit the roof edge. With vinyl gutters, you do not have to allow extra length for overlaps.
- Cut each piece with a hacksaw.
- Hang gutter pieces so that their ends are as close together as possible at each seam.
- An assistant makes this job easier because you will have an extra set of hands to help you maneuver 10-foot pieces.
- Soak a rag with rubbing alcohol and use it to wipe the ends of the gutters clean.
- Clean the slip joint connectors with rubbing alcohol as well.
- Squeeze plastic cement into the interior of the connector.
- Position the connector directly over the seam where the two gutter pieces meet.
- Press the connector firmly until it snaps into place.
- Perform the steps for how to connect gutters at each additional seam.