While gutter guards are designed to keep debris from collecting in your gutters, our gutter experts still recommend giving them a good cleaning every once in awhile. Luckily, cleaning covered gutters is a simple task that only requires a few supplies and some time. Here’s how to do it:
What you’ll need to clean covered gutters:
- Garden spade
- Starting at one corner of your home, set your ladder up against your roof and climb to the top to reach your gutters.
- If your ladder has a hook, place your bucket on the hook. If not, place the bucket on the roof.
- Next, put on your gloves.
- After that, remove the first section of your gutter guard. (While some gutter guards clip or snap into place, others simply sit in the gutter.)
- Use your hands to scoop out and remove leaves, twigs, and other debris that’s in your gutter and place the contents into your bucket.
- After you’ve removed the debris, inspect the gutter to make sure everything is gone.
- If necessary, use a garden spade (or another hard tool) to scrape any debris that has hardened onto or in your gutters.
- Next, use your garden hose to wash out the gutters.
- Replace your gutter cover and continue onto each section until all of your gutters have been cleaned.
*Photo courtesy of excellenthome.net