Rain gutters on homes in the Delaware Valley require cleaning at least twice per year in the spring and fall. Without seasonal maintenance, leaves, twigs, and dirt can easily clog the channels. Water then backs up along the roof and overflows next to the foundation. Both of these situations will eventually cause serious structural water damage. If you feel confident working on a ladder, this DIY for how to clean gutters should not present any challenges. The gutter experts at PJ Fitzpatrick are happy to teach you how step by step.
- 2 buckets
- 2 bucket ladder hooks
- Work gloves
- Latex gloves, optional
- Garden hose with nozzle or gutter cleaning attachment
How to Clean Gutters Steps
- Position the ladder so that it is stable. For your safety, do not stand on the top step while working.
- Load tools into one bucket and attach it near the top of the ladder.
- Hook the second empty bucket on the ladder to collect debris that you remove.
- Put on work gloves. If the dirt in the gutter is wet, you may want to put latex gloves on underneath the work gloves to keep it off of your skin.
- Pull out leaves and twigs and put them in the collection bucket.
- Scrape out remaining grime with the trowel.
- Use the garden hose to spray and rinse the gutter. Start at the end farthest away from the downspout.
- If the downspout is clogged, go to the bottom of the downspout and insert the hose without the nozzle. With the hose running, push it through to the top of the downspout to dislodge the clog.
- Spray the gutters again to confirm that the downspout is letting water flow freely.
Leaf Relief from PJ Fitzpatrick
Various products can be installed to prevent leaves and debris from getting stuck in gutters. PJ Fitzpatrick recommends the Leaf Relief System. This patented gutter protection system eliminates the need to clean your gutters regularly. The screen’s strong aluminum and copper construction repels birds and squirrels that can tear out other gutter guards. It also reduces problems that can arise from ice and snow. We provide a 5-year no-clog guarantee when we install the Leaf Relief System at your home, contact us today for more information.