Fascia boards cover the ends of roof trusses where the joists and rafters meet at the edge of the roof. You’ll only need a few common tools on hand before learning how to attach fascia board to roof trusses. Homeowners who feel comfortable on a ladder and know how to use basic power tools can accomplish repairs to fascia boards.
Instructions for How to Attach Fascia Board to Roof Trusses
- Remove old fascia boards including old nails that are sticking out.
- Starting at a roof corner, lift the first board into place and hold its top edge tightly against the bottom edge of the roof deck.
- Mark the place closest to the end of the board that aligns with the center of a joist.
- Use the carpenter’s square and pencil to put a straight line at the mark.
- Cut the board with a miter saw.
- Position the board against the trusses and nail it in place.
- Put at least 2 nails at both ends of the fascia board into the joists.
- Begin the next piece by placing it against the end of the first board where it ended in the middle of the joist.
- Repeat the process of how to attach fascia board to roof trusses until the entire roof edge is complete.
- Push the nail heads below the surface of boards with the nail punch.
- Seal all seams between fascia boards with painter’s caulk. A wet finger or rag will work well to wipe the caulk smooth.