Throughout the year, moisture, debris, and other elements affect your asphalt shingles, leading them to display eventual signs of dirt accumulation. Cleaning your roof shingles serves as an excellent method to uphold the appearance and structural integrity of your roof, requiring just a few essential tools. Here, our roofing experts detail the process of how to clean a shingle roof.
Steps to Clean a Roof
- Prioritize safety by ensuring you have rubber gloves and non-slip shoes before commencing the roof cleaning process. Additionally, wear old clothing to safeguard against any cleaner splashes.
- Opt for a cool, overcast day with minimal wind when initiating the cleaning process.
- Use tarps to shield vegetation underneath the overhang, safeguarding them from cleaner run-off.
- Verify that gutters are clear to ensure proper drainage.
- Follow instructions to mix the roof cleaner with water, then pour the blend into the pump sprayer.
- Securely position the ladder against the roof and climb up.
- Employ a garden hose to lightly spray the roof, cooling it down and preventing quick drying of the cleaner.
- Apply the cleaner smoothly and evenly onto the shingles.
- Allow approximately 20 minutes before rinsing off the shingles with the garden hose using the highest spray setting.
- Upon completing the roof cleaning, apply a stain-blocking roof protectant to deter algae growth in the future.
- Remove the vegetation tarps and clean the pump sprayer thoroughly.