Water penetrating through your roof requires immediate action. If you see the water leaking near your chimney, the problem might be gaps in the chimney flashing. If you’re comfortable working on a roof, a quick do-it-yourself fix might solve the problem. In order to inspect the chimney flashing, study the following steps for how to fix a roof leak around a chimney. Here, the roof repair experts at PJ Fitzpatrick walk you through the process step by step.
Tools and Materials Needed
For your safety, make sure that your extension ladder goes past the roof edge by at least 3 feet. Be sure to use polyurethane flashing sealant because it’s meant to expand and contract with temperature changes. If your roof is steep, protect yourself by using a roof safety harness.
- Extension ladder
- Roof safety harness
- Work gloves
- Wire brush
- Hammer drill
- Masonry screws
- Caulking gun
- Polyurethane flashing sealant
- Utility knife
- Garden hose
How to Fix a Roof Leak Around a Chimney
- Place the extension ladder in a stable spot and climb onto the roof.
- Inspect the chimney flashing. Clear away any leaves or dirt that might obstruct your view. Check all edges thoroughly to locate any gaps that are letting in water.
- Remove loose or deteriorated sealant with a chisel and wire brush.
- Apply fresh flashing sealant around all edges of flashing. Use the utility knife to cut a hole in the tube tip so that it produces a 1/4-inch bead of sealant.
- If any flashing was loose, apply sealant behind the loose edges.
- To secure loose flashing, use the hammer drill to attach more masonry screws to the flashing.
- Cover exposed screw heads with sealant.
- After the sealant dries, test the repair by using a garden hose to run water around the chimney for 5 minutes.
- If leaking persists, look for any gaps that you might have missed and apply more sealant.
Consider a Professional Roof Inspection
Missing flashing or a leak that you can’t find may require help from a roofing contractor. PJ Fitzpatrick has been fixing and replacing roofs since 1980. Our team can ensure that your roof protects the integrity of your home. Contact us today for a roof repair estimate.