A pitched roof extension over a doorway creates a sheltered outdoor living area. The new roof could also block excessive sunlight from entering a room. You should possess basic carpentry skills before attempting to learn how to build a pitched roof extension. You may also need to obtain a building permit depending on where you live.
Select saw blades and drill bits appropriate for the types of materials that you’ll be working with. For example, you’ll need masonry bits if you’re anchoring wall plates to a brick wall.
- Power drill
- Circular saw
- Combination square
- Chalk line
How to Build a Pitched Roof Extension
- Determine the height and angle of the pitched roof.
- Mark the horizontal locations on the existing wall for the top and bottom wall plates. The wall plates will connect to rafters and joists.
- Use a level and chalk line to create the lines.
- Cut lumber for the wall plates.
- With a power drill and wrenches, attach the wall plates with anchor bolts.
- Cut rafters with angled notches on the upper ends to fit against upper wall plate.
- The combination square will be needed to mark angles for cutting.
- Cut bottom ends of rafters at an angle parallel with the existing wall.
- Test the fit of your first board and use it as a template to cut other boards if it fits.
- Cut joists to fit to bottom wall plate and connect with rafters.
- Nail rafters to top wall plate.
- Nail joists to bottom wall plate and connect to rafters at roof edge.
- Cut and fit plywood for roof decking to nail over rafters.
- Spread roofing paper over new roof and nail in place.
- Shingle the new roof, starting at the bottom and working your way up.
- Attach soffit boards underneath roof overhang.
- Nail on fascia boards.
Get Help From Our Expert Roofers
Even handy do-it-yourselfers might choose to hand this type of project off to professionals. While we do not build new roof extensions from scratch, we can help repair or replace your existing roof extension including new shingles, gutters, and more. Since 1980, PJ Fitzpatrick has built thousands of roofs. Talk to us about your exterior remodeling plans and request a job estimate today.