A properly installed metal roof can protect your home for 50 or 60 years. Although, learning how to install a standing seam metal roof is a different process than laying shingles. You need to attach lock strips to the roof deck and attach roof panels to them. With a standing seam roof, your fasteners will not be exposed. The lock strips allow the panels to expand and control during temperature changes without stressing the fasteners.
Getting ready to follow the directions when learning how to install a standing seam metal roof starts like any roof replacement. You need to tear off the old shingles and underlayment to expose the deck boards. Renting a dumpster to haul away the debris will be necessary. The tear off is the time to replace failing deck boards. You want a sound surface for receiving the metal panels.
How to Install a Standing Seam Metal Roof Step by Step
- Begin on an exposed roof deck that has had the damaged boards replaced.
- Install your fall prevention harness’s cable anchor at the ridge of the roof.
- Connect the lifeline to the anchor and your harness.
- Starting at the bottom of the roof, install ice and water shield underlayment.
- Nail down edges.
- Apply the next row of underlayment with its edge overlapping lower pieces of underlayment by at least 6 inches.
- Install new drip edges with screws every 8 to 12 inches.
- Overlap drip edge pieces by 2 inches.
- The next step when learning how to install a standing seam metal roof involves attaching the gable trim.
- Use tin snips and the sheet metal hand seamer/folder to cut and shape the trim pieces.
- Screw the pieces into place.
- Screw lock strips along the outer roof edge and eaves.
- Space lock strips according to guidelines from the roof panel manufacturer.
- Cut the first panel so that it overlaps the drip edge by at least 1 inch.
- Cut the rib off the first panel and hook it into the lock strips along the outer roof edge.
- Bend the lower flat edge of the panel so that it wraps the drip edge.
- Dab caulk over the screw heads securing the lock strips as you attach panels.
- Continue snapping panels into place on the lock strips.
- At the top of the panels along the ridge line, cover the gaps with Z bars.
- Once all Z bars are installed along the ridge, cut the ridge capping to fit the roof line.
- Install the ridge capping.
Consult the Manufacturer’s Directions
There are many metal roofing products are on the market. Variations in lock strip style and how you attach trim pieces exist based on panel system design. When learning how to install a standing seam metal roof, you should study the directions carefully. The guidelines will provide specific information about how to install the panel system that you selected.