A slide bar hand shower makes a shower shared by tall and short people perfect every time. You can slide the hand shower to the height that works best for you. The main challenge of how to install a hand shower with slide bar is getting the bar plumb. It needs to be straight up and down. Any crookedness will certainly bother you every time you take a shower if you don’t get it right.
How to Install a Hand Shower With Slide Bar Step by Step
1. Turn off the water supply to your shower.
2. Place a towel between the pliers and where the shower head attaches to the pipe. This prevents scratching up the surface of the shower head.
3. Loosen the shower head with the channel lock pliers and set it aside.
4. Clean off any old Teflon tape stuck to the threads.
5. Decide if you want to place the slide bar to the right or left of the shower supply pipe.
6. Decide how high you want it to be.
7. If the shower slide bar kit did not include a mounting template, make one with paper, pencil, and scissors.
8. Place the paper on the back of the shower bar and trace where the screws go for the mounting brackets.
9. Position the template against the shower wall.
10. Holding the level vertically next to the template, confirm that it is plumb.
11. Tape the template to the shower wall.
12. Place masking tape across the areas where you’ll need to drill for screws.
13. Mark exactly where to drill on the masking tape.
14. Select a drill bit appropriate for tile or fiberglass depending on the shower wall material.
15. Apply gentle, even pressure as you drill holes in the walls.
16. After drilling the holes, remove the tape and template.
17. Tap screw anchors into the holes with a hammer.
18. Attach the mounting brackets with screws, using a screwdriver.
19. Make sure that the bracket that will hold the shower head is on the bar.
20. Attach the bar to the mounting brackets.
21. Wrap Teflon tape around the threads of the shower head supply pipe and the threads at the end of the hose.
22. Screw the hose onto the shower head supply pipe.
23. Screw the hose to the shower head.
24. Hang the shower head on the slide bar.
25. Turn the water supply back on.