While vinyl siding is the most popular type of siding, some homeowners choose fiber cement siding for its versatile looks and durability. Because fiber cement siding is a little more fragile than vinyl siding, installing it takes a little more care. If you want to install your own, our installation professionals explains how to install fiber cement siding:
- Before you begin, make sure your exterior walls are sheathed and wrapped.
- First, snap several chalk lines to determine the locations of your studs.
- Next, use your nail gun to install the inside and outside corners of the wall. (Corners can be made from vinyl, wood, or thicker fiber cement.)
- After that, use your circular saw to cut 1 1/4″ siding starter strips to install at the bottom of your home.
Attaching Your Siding
- Attach your starter strip to the bottom of your sheathing using nails.
- Next, snap a chalk line to determine where the first row of siding will go. (This line should be the height of the siding piece plus 1/4″ so it hangs over the bottom starter strip.)
- Measure the length you want your piece of siding to be, making sure to leave a small gap between the siding and the corner piece.
- After that, use your circular saw to cut it to size. If your siding has a protective paper covering, leave it on while you cut.
- Pre-drill 1/8″ pilot holes in your first piece of siding and drive two galvanized box nails into each stud. Make sure the nails penetrate at least one inch into the stud.
- Nail along the length of siding to attach it firmly to your home.
- Continue to snap chalk lines for your siding pieces and working from bottom to top, continue to install your siding. Make sure you overlap each piece by at least 1 1/4″.
- As you come across obstacles like windows or doors, make sure to measure and cut your siding accordingly.
- Use caulk to fill in the joints between the ends of your siding pieces and your corners.
- After that, remove the protective paper.
- If your siding needs to be painted, make sure it’s clean and dry before painting it.