One of the reasons many homeowners choose vinyl siding is because of its low maintenance, but every once in awhile, your siding may look a little grungy and need a good cleaning. Here, our vinyl siding repair pros explain how to clean your vinyl siding using a general cleaner, a pressure washer, and a mold/mildew remover.
What you’ll need to clean vinyl siding:
- Long-handled soft bristle brush
- Gentle cleaning solution (homemade or store-bought)
- Pressure washer
- Mold/mildew remover (homemade or store-bought)
- Drop cloths
- Pump sprayer
- Garden hose
- If you’re making your own cleaning solution, we recommend mixing:
- 70% water with 30% white vinegar for a gentle all-purpose cleaner
- 1 gallon of water, 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent, 2/3 trisodium phosphate) for more of a cleaning solution
- Pour or mix your cleaning solution in your bucket.
- Next, dip your soft bristle brush in the solution and begin cleaning your siding. (Make sure you start at the bottom and work your way up to prevent streaking.)
- When the area gets too high for your brush to reach, utilize your ladder.
Before you pressure wash your siding, check with the manufacturer first. Some allow a pressure wash while others recommend staying away from it.
- Turn your pressure washer on to a low-pressure setting.
- Starting at the bottom of your siding, hold the nozzle at eye-level.
- Next, slowly sweep the stream across your siding, making sure to keep the stream straight and not angled (you don’t want to shoot water up behind the siding).
- When the area gets too high for you to reach, utilize your ladder.
- If you’re making your own mold/mildew remover, we recommend mixing:
- 1 gallon of water, 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent, 2/3 cup trisodium phosphate, 1 quart liquid laundry bleach
- Pour your homemade or store-bought mold/mildew remover into your pump sprayer.
- After that, cover any landscaping underneath your vinyl siding with drop cloths to protect it from the solution.
- Working from bottom to top, spray your solution onto the affected areas of your siding.
- Allow the solution to soak into the mold/mildew for about 10 minutes.
- Next, use your soft bristle brush to gently scrub the area clean.
- After that, rinse the area off with water from your garden, hose.
*Photo courtesy of cloverclean.ca