As dirt particles collect on a house’s siding, mold or mildew can eventually gain a foothold. When you see the dingy growth accumulate on your home, it’s time to clean the siding. The process is well within the physical abilities of most homeowners. Learn how to clean mold off siding from the siding experts at PJ Fitzpatrick.
Whether you have vinyl or aluminum siding, the job is largely the same. If you use a pressure washer, don’t exceed a medium pressure setting. The spray pattern should be at 40 degrees and the nozzle should be kept at least 12 inches from the siding at all time. These settings will prevent you from damaging your siding with an excessively strong spray.
Tools and Materials Needed
We recommend having the following items handy when learning how to clean mold off siding:
- 2 to 5-gallon bucket
- Hose with spray nozzle or pressure washer
- Natural-fiber scrub brush with extension handle
- Bleach or vinegar
- Plastic drop cloths
How to Clean Mold Off Siding Steps
- Spray the siding with the hose or pressure washer. Light accumulations often come off completely with just water.
- Start spraying at the bottom and work your way to the top. While spraying, be sure to avoid aiming the spray under the siding edges. Water could penetrate the seams and cause problems underneath the material.
- Rinse the siding from the top down to the bottom.
- If water spray is insufficient to remove the mold, apply cleaner.
- In the bucket, make the cleaner by adding 1/2 cup bleach OR 1-1/2 cups vinegar to each gallon of water.
- Protect plants with plastic drop cloths to prevent bleach or vinegar water from burning vegetation.
- Apply cleaner with the scrub brush.
- Rinse the cleaner off starting from the top of the siding and working your way to the bottom.
- In stubborn spots, apply cleaner again and spend extra time scrubbing.
Take Care of Siding Damage
If you notice any cracks or missing pieces on your siding while you’re washing it, you should attend to the problem soon. Water will penetrate gaps and threaten the integrity of your home’s structure. Although it’s easy to learn how to clean mold off of your siding, you might want help with siding repairs. A siding specialist from PJ Fitzpatrick is available to evaluate your siding damage right away. Fill out our estimate form today and tell us a little about your project to get started.