Fixing broken glass in a single-glazed window with a wood sash is well within the capabilities of the average homeowner. The tools and materials are relatively cheap. You can learn how to replace a window pane and complete the steps within an hour or two. Your biggest concern will be the avoiding the sharp glass. Even small edges of glass can cause serious cuts or injuries. Make sure that you wear gloves and respect the material as you work. In this article, the window repair experts at PJ Fitzpatrick will share detailed instructions for this project.
Tools and Materials Needed
- Safety glasses
- Leather work gloves
- Measuring tape
- Duct tape
- Pieces of cardboard
- Piece of lumber 2 or 3 feet long
- Putty knife
- Glazing putty
- Glazer’s clips
- Measure the space for the window pane. Obtain a new piece of glass with slightly smaller dimensions than the opening.
- Spread cardboard or something similar outside of the window to catch falling glass.
- Stick duct tape in X-shaped patterns over the glass to be removed on the outside.
- Tape a piece of thin cardboard on the inside of the glass.
- Put on safety glasses.
- Working from the inside, hit the glass toward the outside with the piece of lumber. The tape should hold together the majority of the glass to make clean up easier and safer.
- Scrape the window edges to knock out any remnants of the glass.
- Pull out lingering shards with pliers.
- Gather broken glass and dispose of it.
- Use putty knife to scrape away old glazing putty around the frame.
- Roll coils of new putty and press into place all around the window edges.
- Carefully insert the glass into the opening and squish into the putty.
- Place glazer’s clips around all edges of glass. Push the clips into the putty and wood frame with the putty knife.
- Roll more coils of putty and press over glass edges and clips.
- Wet down the putty knife and scrape away excess putty. Work at an angle between the glass and frame. Wet knife as necessary to keep the results smooth.
- Allow putty to cure for 1 to 3 weeks before painting.
Professional Window Pane Replacement
PJ Fitzpatrick has the tools and trained professionals available who can execute any window repair. If you don’t have time to learn how to replace a window pane, we can help you complete the task. Window maintenance should not be neglected. On top of the unsightly appearance, glass cracks interfere with heating and cooling.